- 1 eggplant (medium)
- 4 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil (vegetable or olive)
- 1 onion (medium, diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper (more to taste)
- 4 tomatoes (medium, skinless and diced, or one 15 ounce can diced)
- parsley (for garnish)
- Peel the eggplant lengthwise into a “striped” pattern (or peel completely). Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop insides with a grapefruit spoon making a “boat” out of each eggplant half. Take 4 tbsp of salt and spread over eggplant generously. Leave for 45 min until it releases juice.
- Press against eggplant sides with your fist and fingers until you squeeze out as much juice as you can. Wash salt and juice off eggplant.
- Heat oven to 390F. Put the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. When it’s hot, add onion and garlic. After they crystalize, add ground beef, paprika, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Mix well. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Stuff eggplant “boats” with meat mixture. Oil a baking pan and place eggplant inside. Spread diced tomatoes over the eggplant and in the pan. Cover baking pan with foil making a few holes in foil with fork or a toothpick. Bake for one full hour.
Serve with rice or mashed potatoes. Add sour cream to taste.