- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or vegetable)
- 1 yellow onion (large, peeled, minced)
- 1 pound chuck tender steak (or other beef chunk, diced coarsely)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons paprika (or more)
- (Optional) 2 sticks celery (minced)
- 2 carrots (large, peeled, diced)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- (Optional) 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon of sugar
- In a deep skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and simmer. Add beef on top of onion but do not stir. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add seasonings. Simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery and stir well. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water. Continue simmering on low for another 30-40 minutes on low. (Add a little water at the time to keep the level even, or if you like a thicker sauce skip adding more water.)
- (If using tomato sauce, add in now with sugar and stir.)
- Add breadcrumbs. Stir well. Simmer another 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.
Serve over pasta, rice, quinoa, or couscous.
You want the meat to brown, not burn, so feel free to lower the temperature in the beginning, and add a few more minutes to simmering. Alternatively you can add a pinch of of water here and there.