Veal pâté is a smooth spread that is both an appetizer and a side dish. Rich meat flavor is sweetened and simmered in onions, then additionally softened by blending with mayonnaise and sour cream. It’s not a surprise this decadent spread is everyone’s breakfast favorite.
- 3.5 ounces oil (sunflower or vegetable)
- 1.5 pounds veal (minced)*
- 2 onions (medium, minced)
- 8–10 ounces water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 parsley strand (minced)
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium. Add veal and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add onion, stir and continue simmering. Keep adding water, a little bit at a time. Simmer for additional 15-20 minutes, or until the onion is crystalized and meat is medium-well done.
- Transfer to a blender. Add mayonnaise, sour cream, and parsley. Blend for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth and spreadable. (Depending on the blender you may have to do this in two times, so divide mayonnaise and sour cream.)
- Transfer to a jar and keep in the fridge. Spread over crackers, bread, or use as a side.
Mincing and dicing will depend on your blender. If you have a Vitamix or Blendtec, meat and onions can be diced into larger chunks. For any other blender, mince the ingredients ahead to prevent the blender motor from burning out.
*Meat substitutions: rump steak or fillet.