- 1 whole chicken (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 onion (large, minced)
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 package hard phyllo (or 12–14 flour tortillas)
- Chicken broth
- Fill a deep pot with water 2/3 of the way, and place the chicken inside. Season with 1 tablespoon salt, cover and bring to boil on high. Lower temperature to medium and cook for 45 minutes or so.
- Remove off heat.
- Take the chicken out, but keep the broth. Take the skin off the chicken, separate meat from the bone and shred it.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, onion, 1 tablespoon salt and and pepper. Mix well. Heat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- (If using tortillas instead of hard phyllo, bake them for 5-7 minutes on medium rack, until they are tough. Take the tortillas out but keep the oven on.)
- Oil a baking pan (one used was approximately 11×16 inches or 40x27cm). Make one layer from hard phyllo or hard tortillas (you may have to break it in parts to make it fit). Use a ladle to pour a couple of scoops of chicken broth onto the layer. Spread a few handfuls of shredded chicken filling over it. Cover with another layer of phyllo/ hard tortillas, and repeat.
- Repeat until you’re out of ingredients, making sure the pie has phyllo/ tortillas on top. Pour a few more scoops of broth on top and place in the oven.
- Bake 20 minutes on 400°F (200°C), then lower to 360°F (180°C) and bake another 15 to 18 minutes. During baking, moisten the pie with a few more scoops of the broth once or twice.
- Take out and cover with a kitchen towel. Let cool off for 15 to 20 minutes.