May we have 10 minutes of your time for this no cornstarch Egg Drop Soup? This 5 ingredient (ok 6 if you garnish with parsley!) soup is comforting, savory, and nutritious. Oh and also keto, paleo, low-carb, vegetarian AND gluten-free.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth (hot)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- (Optional) 2-3 tablespoons parsley (minced)
- In a medium pot heat up butter and oil over high until butter melts.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- (Parallel to step 2) In a small bowl beat an egg and salt until the egg yolk and egg white are completely integrated.
- Lower the temperature to low. Slowly pour the beaten egg into the broth while whisking energetically (1-2 min). Cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Substitute chicken broth with vegetable or beef broth, or bouillon. If using bouillon use 2 teaspoons of powder, or 2 cubes, per 4 cups of water. Furthermore, you can substitute parsley with green onion, or omit it completely.
For a thicker soup make a light roux. This is done by adding a tablespoon of flour to the melted butter and whisking it together until it turns dark yellow. Then add the broth.
It’s best to consume this soup within a few hours of making it as the egg changes consistency after a while. Otherwise, keep it in the fridge and bring it to a boil before serving. Be aware the taste won't be the same as when you first made it.
- Serving Size: 1 of 3
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Sodium: 1455mg
- Fat: 16.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates: 1.6g
- Fiber: .1g
- Protein: 8.5mg
- Cholesterol: 65mg
Keywords: egg drop soup recipe, balkan egg drop soup, egg drop soup without cornstarch