- 16 ounces giant dark red kidney beans (canned)
- 16 ounces yellow onions (about 3 medium onions)
- 3.5 ounces oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Empty beans into a coriander and wash thoroughly. Place into a 12 inch diameter square or round pan and set aside.
- Heat oven to 480F.
- Peel and chop onions into medium chunks, and place into a wok. Add oil and simmer on high for 4-5 minutes. Bring the temperature down to medium and simmer another 2-3 minutes. Finally, bring the temperature down to low and add the seasonings in. (If making in a pan, add a little bit of water throughout.) Simmer for the last 2 minutes.
- Pour onions over kidney beans and add a cup of water. Stir well and place in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring once or twice at the beginning, and turning the pan around about halfway through. Add just a little bit more water if necessary. (The beans shouldn’t be dry, but they shouldn’t be swimming in water either.)
- Serve alone, with eggs and/or kielbasa.
Use dark red kidney beans from a can, and weigh them after you drain the liquid out. In an upcoming recipe we’ll make Macedonian baked beans with dry beans.
The trick is to have a 1:1 beans to onion ratio.