- 1 tablespoon baker’s yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2.5 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- 9 ounces warm milk
- 10 ounces Nutella or chocolate spread
- 4 ounces butter
- (Optional) 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Combine yeast and sugar with a little bit of warm water and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, 2 eggs, yeast mix, and milk. Work the ingredients with your hand (about 7-10 minutes) until you get a smooth and elastic ball of dough. Dab with oil and set aside for 45-60 minutes or until it doubles.
- Sprinkle your working area with flour and take the dough ball out. Work it with your hands (about 5 minutes), and start spreading it out with a rolling pin. When the dough is about the thickness of your forefinger, cut into 4-5 inch squares. (An easy way to do this is to cut stripes in one direction first, and then cut across.) Put one tablespoon of Nutella in the middle of each dough square. Take one end of the square and “cover” Nutella with it. Then take the end and place on top of the first. This way you will get a little roll with Nutella on the inside. Repeat until you make rolls out of all squares.
- Oil a 9×13 inch (or similar) baking pan and place rolls inside making sure the “connected” side of each roll is on the bottom so it doesn’t open during baking. Mix the egg yolk until it’s smooth then paint each roll with it. Leave rolls aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 390F. Put one teaspoon of butter on each roll. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning around the pan about halfway through. (Optional) Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
You’ll get about 18-20 rolls this way, and serving size is about 2 per person.