Extra-crunchy puffed rice and cornflake bites congealed with chocolate. I promise, you’ll never look at cereal the same way.
- 2 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 ounce walnuts (ground)
- 1.5 ounces cornflakes
- 1.5 ounces puffed rice
- 7 ounces white chocolate
- 7 ounces dark baking chocolate
- In a small pan, heat sugar over medium while stirring continuously. As it starts to melt and darken bring temperature down to low, and stir faster. Once the sugar is completely melted and honey-colored, pour onto a piece of parchment paper and let cool (about 15 minutes).
- Carefully break sugar into larger pieces. Cover with parchment paper and hammer with a meat tenderizer. Add walnuts and mix.
- In a large ziplock bag combine sugar and walnuts with cornflakes. Seal the bag pushing the air out. Use a rolling pin to crush the ingredients even more. Add puffed rice, seal and shake the bag until the mixture integrates.
- Divide the mixture evenly into two medium mixing bowls.
- Make a bain-marie by filling one large pot 1/2 with water and bringing it to a boil on high. Place a smaller pot (or an unbreakable mixing bowl) inside the larger pot making sure half of the smaller pot is subdued in boiling water. Add white chocolate to the small pot. Stir chocolate while it melts. Once melted, remove small pot and pour chocolate over the crunchy mixture in one bowl leaving 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate aside. Mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Use a teaspoon to form small balls/ bites. Transfer each onto parchment paper.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for dark chocolate. In total, you will get about 40 pieces/ bites (20 of each color).
- With a fork use the remaining melted chocolate to decorate the bites of a different color (white on black, and black on white). Leave all bites in a cool place for 4 hours to stiffen.
- Transfer to a container and keep in a cool location for up to 5 days.
*If bain-marie is too complicated you can simply microwave the chocolate until it melts, or melt it over low temperature. Bain-marie prevents burning so it’s preferable, however you do whatever is easier for you.
**These are tasty! So, think about making two batches at once!
VARIATIONS: Gluten-free: use gluten-free cornflakes, chocolate and puffed rice.
- Serving Size: 2 Bites
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 8.9g
- Sodium: 24mg
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates: 15.6g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
Keywords: corn flakes, cornflakes, puffed rice, rice puffs, bites, energy bites, no bake