- 1–2 tablespoons oil
- 1 yellow onion (medium, diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 pound ground beef (or veal)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3–4 eggs
- 14 ounces sour cream
- 2–3 ounces milk
- 1–2 tablespoons parsley
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium. Add onion and garlic and stir. After they crystalize, add ground beef, salt, pepper and paprika. Stir well. Simmer halfway until the meat is pink (but not red nor brown). Remove from heat.
- In a larger bowl mix potatoes, oil and salt. Mix well with your hands.
- Heat oven to 450°F. Layer 1/3 of potatoes into a 8X12 inch pan. Cover with 1/2 of meat filling evenly. Repeat. Top it off with one more layer of potatoes. (In total you’ll have 3 potato layers and two meat layers in between.)
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. In a large bowl, mix sour cream, eggs and milk until integrated.
- Take the pan out of the oven and top evenly with the egg/ sour cream/ milk mixture. Sprinkle with parsley. Return to the oven for another 20 minutes.