Welcome & Dobrodošli!
So good to have you here!
I’m Aida, Balkan Lunch Box creator, and a Sarajevo native with a double address (Sarajevo, Washington DC).
I’m also a wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt, friend and a marketing strategist.
Like you, I love good food!
Having people over for delicious meals is something that makes me feel at home wherever I am.
In 2014, I launched Balkan Lunch Box to share recipes with my friends. My sister Aleksandra later joined me.
What's Balkan Lunch Box about?
Balkan Lunch Box is all about traditional and contemporary Balkan cuisine. Well, former Yugoslavia cuisine in particular, so here you’ll find dishes from:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina,
- North Macedonia,
- Serbia, and
Still wondering where the Balkans is? 1. Find Europe on a map. 2. Find Italy (it’s the boot!). 3. Then look to the right, across the Adriatic Sea. That’s the Balkan Peninsula.
Since its inception, Balkan Lunch Box content has been seen by millions, has a social media following of 350,000+ and has been featured in places such as the BBC.
What's Balkan food like?
Think of Balkan cuisine as your favorite dishes with a twist.
…then - this may surprise you! - you’ve had Balkan food!
The flavors are a mix of Mediterranean (Turkish, Greek, Italian), and Central European (Hungarian, Austrian) cuisines. The result is delicious and nourishing food you’ll absolutely love if you don’t already!
What can you find on BLB?
Or something quick, but equally tasty (oh, hello, hashbrown pie!). To that end, on here you’ll find easy to use content in form of:
- detailed recipes,
- step-by-step photos,
- prep videos, and
- great instructions!
Every recipe has been tested and retested many times so you don’t waste time or resources. In fact, most recipes on here have been in our family for generations!
Can I get that recipe in Bosnian/ Serbian/ Croatian?
Each recipe has two versions, English and Bosnian. Therefore, if you speak Serbian, Croatian or Montenegrin you’ll have no trouble understanding. (If you do, you should have a serious talk with your language teacher!)
A little bit about me...
- Before moving to the US I survived Sarajevo siege with my family.
- After being widowed at a young age, I was happily surprised to find love again! My husband and I have a small daughter.
- I hate being in front of the camera as much as I love being behind it.
A little bit about Aleksandra...
- She’s a wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt, and a recipe developer.
- Also an avid urban gardener!
- In mid 90s we were in Croatia, just having gotten green light to go to the US, Aleksandra decided to return to Sarajevo (midst of war!) through the infamous tunnel to be with her (then) boyfriend. Everyone thought she lost her mind! They’re still together today. 🙂
We want more!
If you’d like to get in touch drop me an email ([email protected]), or leave a comment. To stay on top of our latest content, sign up for our mailing list.
Here’s to good food!