Cream of mushroom soup is just what it sounds: a comforting creamy soup popular across cultures for its smoothness and depth of taste.
I simplified this one as much as I possibly could. I bought some vegetable stock because I was too lazy to make some, and even used the blender for the last step. No flour needed. No roux. Nothing. (If you want to make some of your own stock, here is how.)
As the main ingredient I got some cremini mushrooms, which it turns out, are baby portabellas. You can adjust everything to your liking for this one, especially mushrooms. Try shiitake, or actual grown up portabellas.
Just a few ingredients, 30 minutes, and some chips and you are in for a very filling lunch. And if you are in a mushroom mood, but for something less creamy, you can go for the non-creamy mushroom soup from Herzegovina, mushroom goulash, and drunken mushroom risotto.
Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe (Krem Supa Od Gljiva)
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms portabella, shiitake also work
- 1 garlic clove
- 24 ounces vegetable broth
- 6-8 tablespoons milk
- Salt to taste.
- Mince carrots and onion, and simmer on olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add a little bit of water at a time if necessary to prevent from burning.
- Set aside 2-3 mushrooms for decoration and slice them. Mince the remaining mushrooms and garlic, and combine with carrots and onion. Simmer everything for 15 minutes on low. Warm up the vegetable broth in a separate pot.
- Combine broth with everything and add milk. Transfer all to a blender and blend on high for 1-2 minutes until completely creamy.
- Transfer the soup back to the pot and simmer on medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Decorate with sliced mushrooms you set aside earlier. Serve with chips or bread.
Leave a Reply