These Veal Medallions in Creamy Mushrooms Sauce look and taste like a sophisticated restaurant dish. Luckily for us, this dish is super easy to make!
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 1.5–2 ounces oil
- 1/2 beef bouillon cube (crushed, or your own seasonings)
- 3.5–5 ounces oil
- 21–22 ounces veal cutlets (top round, cut into thin, smaller medallions)
- 12 ounces button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- Seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, optionally 1/2 bouillon cube, or your own seasonings)*
- 1 ounce cream of mushroom soup mix (about 1/2 bag, dissolved in 3.5 ounces water)
- 1 baguette (smaller, thinly sliced)
- (Optional) Parsley (minced, for garnish)
- (Optional) 1 tablespoon butter
- On a medium size plate place veal medallions and generously dab in marinade on all sides. Cover plate with foil and leave in the fridge at least 2-3 hours, preferably overnight.
- In a medium sized pan heat oil over high temperature. Add veal medallions,** and fry on medium high to high temperature about 6-7 minutes on each side (12-14 minutes total) until they achieve a slight brown crust. (If they start burning up, lower the temperature, or take the medallions out earlier.)
- Transfer meat to a medium sized plate and cover.
- Scrape the remaining fats in the pan, and add the mushrooms directly onto it. Stir well so that the fats and mushrooms completely integrate. (If necessary add a little bit more oil or butter). Fry mushrooms about 4-5 minutes, until they release their own juices.
- Lower temperature, add spices, cream of mushroom soup mixed in water, and an additional 6.5-8.5 ounces water. Stir well until the fluids integrate. Bring to a boil (about 2-3 minutes).
- Return medallions to pan and spread them evenly.
- ‘Cover’ medallions with baguette slices, then cover the pan. Let the bread steam up, about 3-5 minutes. (Optional) Garnish with parsley.
*Spices-wise use Vegeta or seasoning C. If you don’t use these seasonings you can use 1/2 bouillon cube crushed, rosemary, basil and/or parsley or seasoning medley to taste.
**Depending on pan size you may have to fry medallions in two batches. Fry the second batch a shorter time (about 10-12 minutes total).
*** Serve while warm as gravy thickens quickly. When serving first place baguette slices on the plate, top them with medallions, and finally pour the gravy with mushrooms over it.
Serve with rice, polenta, couscous or pasta.
Total cook time doesn’t include the marinade wait time.
- Serving Size: 1/4 pan
- Calories: 741
- Sugar: 4.6g
- Sodium: 384mg
- Fat: 49.9g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 18.7g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 54.6g
- Cholesterol: 178g
Keywords: veal medallions, creamy mushroom sauce