Cream of spaghetti squash and potato soup. Only a few simple steps until you have a great new take on a beloved fall classic.
Most people make the pumpkin soup this time of the year. So we'll make something similar, but not quite the same: cream of spaghetti squash. If you're in a habit of making many soups, and you're craving something a little more original than the regular squash, spaghetti squash soup will be fantastic for you!
That's exactly why I like it, as it's made just as I expect it'd be made. Ingredients are cooked, blended, enriched with heavy cream, and voila!
It also tastes just as I'd expect it to taste. Light spaghetti squash flavor enhances carrot and potato, but keeps the creaminess in tact.
Cream of Spaghetti Squash and Potato Soup
- 16 ounces spaghetti squash peeled, diced
- 8 ounces potatoes peeled, diced
- ½ onion peeled, diced
- 2 carrots peeled, diced
- 2.5 to 3 cups water 700-750 milliliters
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 ounces heavy cream
- 1-2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds roasted, de-shelled
- Optional Remaining squash (cored, deseeded, otherwise kept in tact)*
- (Optional) If opting to make an edible bowl out of the squash use a 3lbs+ squash for the recipe. Cut the top third off and use it for soup. Bake the remaining portion on 390°F for 30-40 minutes. Set aside until soup is ready.*
- In a larger pot, combine vegetables, seasonings and water. Bring to a boil and cook on low until the vegetables soften (about 40 minutes).
- Strain vegetables into a blender but keep the water in which they cooked. Blend vegetables and return to the pot with water. Stir well and bring to a boil on medium. Stir in heavy cream until ingredients integrate. Cook approximately 5 more minutes and turn the stove off.
- Serve warm, (optionally) in the edible squash bowl.
- Top with pumpkin seeds.
I did a variation on this recipe and it basically tastes like chicken pot pie!
1. Only blended squash and potatoes.
2. Needed to blend with some of the leftover water.
3. other veggies added later. (Did peas and carrots, could also add onion, celery, etc.)
4. Add diced chicken
Great tip! We must try it with chicken now.