Our simple potato soup recipe made on a stovetop requires just a few ingredients. It's a great alternative to the loaded potato soup. Chunky, thick, and brothy, it overflows with potatoes and carrots. Made with vegetable, or chicken broth, this soup is quick and yummy!
Come November I'm kind of done with creamy soups for a while. Hey, I love a loaded potato soup with a bunch of soup toppings as much as the next girl!
But every now and then I crave a lighter broth that's thick in a chunky and non-too-creamy way. A simple potato soup with just a few ingredients.
Today's recipe is a perfect example!
It's a stovetop soup that's:
- deliciously chunky but light,
- (optionally) enriched with a pinch of heavy cream (no milk!),
- and ultimately, an easy potato soup with vegetable or chicken broth.
Simple ingredients. (Forget the leeks, sausage, and mushrooms!) Great taste! (YUM!) Made from scratch in about 30-40 minutes. (Quick and easy!)
Here are the few ingredients you'll need to make this easy potato soup.
- Potatoes: Yukon Gold potatoes are the best potatoes for this soup. (Even Wikipedia calls these potatoes the "jack-of-all-trades" due to their versatility, durability, and sweet-ish flavor.) Dice them small for easier and quicker cooking. They taste better in smaller bites, and they still give you that chunky potato soup. Alternatively, go for Russett or Red. Avoid fingerling potatoes.
- Carrots: they give a touch of sweetness without overpowering the dish. Try different cutting methods for different soup textures (diced, minced, grated).
- Onion: white and yellow onions both work for this soup. You can also dice these any size depending on how you like onions in your food. (I like what onions do for a dish but prefer not to bite into them, so I opt for grating.)
- Herbs and seasonings: a regular medley of salt, pepper, and parsley (fresh is best, but dry works too) is your best bet. Paprika is the main seasoning, and whichever type you choose will have an influence on the taste (hot, mild, smokey, etc.). Alternatively, use your own spice mix.
- Broth: it's best if you make this easy potato soup with chicken broth. However, if you prefer a vegetarian potato soup, just switch it up with vegetable broth. Beef broth is really the last choice, as it may make the soup "heavier." Alternatively, use water and add a stock or bouillon cube or powder, or other seasonings to give it your preferred flavor.
- Heavy cream and flour (thickeners): this simple potato soup recipe does require a little bit of heavy cream and one tablespoon of flour to thicken it. The broth is on the lighter side, so just a pinch will do. Start with an ounce and move up to 3.5, adjusting to taste (about 30-100ml). If you opt for just one thickener adjust the volumes accordingly. Alternatively, when the soup is almost ready, blend ⅓ of the potatoes with an immersion blender.
Here is how to make this brothy, chunky potato soup in a few easy steps.
Step 1. Heat up the oil. Add carrot, onion, and garlic. Sauté.
Step 2. Add spices and flour, and stir occasionally. Add broth and bring to a boil.
Step 3. Add potatoes and cook for 25 min. Add heavy cream and parsley. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Serving: serve this chunky potato soup warm. It goes well with fermented salads and homemade bread. Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. This dish is best consumed on the same day.
Reheating: reheat on the stovetop, or using your preferred method. Do not reheat twice! Reheating it on the stovetop is your best option because it warms up more evenly this way
Simple Potato Soup FAQs
No. There is no need to cook potatoes before adding them to the soup.
No. Peel and dice the potatoes before you add them to the pot.
Potatoes kept in the freezer turn into mush when you try to thaw them. Industrial-grade equipment is necessary to freeze them instantly before they lose their structure.
In fact, it's best not to keep cooked potatoes in the fridge for longer than a day.
Yes, you can, but you shouldn't!
Instant Pot is usually used to shorten cooking time. This easy potato soup only takes about 35 minutes from start to finish. It would take about the same amount of time, if not longer, for Instant Pot to build pressure and cook it.
So yes, you're welcome to use Instant Pot, however, there is no need for it.
- Ground Beef Minestrone
- Bey's Soup: Bosnian Classic Soup
- Chicken Semolina Noodle
- Instant Pot Bean Soup with Sausage
- Cream of Cauliflower
- 10 Minute Egg Drop Soup
If you made our simple potato soup recipe and liked it, please consider giving it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (5-star) rating. This helps others find the recipe more easily!
Also, feel free to leave a comment (I read each one!), and don't forget to tag a photo #balkanlunchbox, or us @balkanlunchbox, on IG.
Prijatno and bon appetit!
(Recipe by S. Hajdarević)
Simple Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large carrot diced, minced or grated
- 1 yellow onion diced, minced or grated
- 1 garlic clove minced
- salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon paprika mild, spicy or smokey
- 1 tablespoon white flour
- 4-5 cups vegetable or chicken broth, or water if water, then add 1 stock (bouillon) cube or 1 teaspoon of stock powder
- 2 large potatoes about 14oz (400g), diced small
- 1-3.5 ounces heavy cream adjust to taste*
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley 1 teaspoon if dry
- In a medium pot heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add carrot, onion and garlic. Sauté until translucent.
- Add spices and flour. Stir and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and simmer for 25 minutes on medium-high. Add heavy cream and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve warm. Keep in the fridge for up to a day. Reheat using your preferred method. Do not freeze!
Similar taste , mum used to add meat cubes to this. Will be a winter stable x
I usualy put meat too and the taste is even much better 😉
We do too when we make paprikash (https://balkanlunchbox.com/chicken-paprikash-stew-recipe-pileci-paprikas-2/), but this one is a good vegetarian option.
Jedna od drazih, odlicna. Super sto su recepti detaljni + imate video u slucaju nejasnoca, ma cista 5 sve. Veliki pozdrav
Hvala Mirela, drago nam je ako su vam recepti korisni. Veliki pozdrav i vama.
This is the best recipe. I have now made it many times. Served with crusty bread.
so glad to hear that! Of course, now I have to make some crusty bread. 🙂