Simplest and fastest egg drop soup recipe without cornstarch. Only need 5 ingredients and 10 minutes are needed for this keto, paleo, vegetarian AND gluten-free soup! Shall we?
(Bosanski: Supica od Jaja)
This light, nourishing broth infused with eggs is comforting, tasty, and quick. To prepare it you'll whisk a beaten egg in the hot broth until small ribbons or ‘flowers’ are formed. This process is how the soup got its name.
It’s hard to know exactly where it originated as soups with eggs and egg drop noodles are widespread.
However, regardless of how many versions exist (Chinese flower soup, Italian Stracciatella, etc.), our egg ribbon soup is the simplest and possibly tastiest of them all!
Why This Recipe Works
- For a soup made so quickly, it’s ABSOLUTELY delicious! It's going to be the best 10 minutes you'll spend this week!
- You probably already have all the ingredients on hand.
- This soup has LESS THAN 2% CARBS per serving.
- It's keto, paleo, vegetarian and gluten-free!
- No cornstarch, which means the soup doesn't become slimy. Instead, the broth is light and incredibly smooth.
Stock: Sub with different broth or bouillon (cubes, cubed stock, or stock granules all work). All flavors work! We prefer chicken as it naturally goes well with eggs.
Egg: Sub with duck, goose, or quail egg.
Additional seasonings: Paprika, ginger, or Vegeta.
Parsley: Sub with green onion.
Thickening agents: For a thicker broth add a tablespoon of flour to the melting butter before adding the broth. This will make a light roux.
(Our lightning-fast instructions are here to give you an idea of how to make this dish. More detailed information is on the recipe card below!)
- Heat up oil. Add butter.
- Add stock. Stir. Bring to boil.
- Beat an egg. Add salt.
- Add egg to soup. Whisk.
- (Optional) Garnish.
- Taste: While egg ribbons taste like delicious, steamed scrambled eggs, the overall soup flavor depends on your choice of soup stock or broth. Take note that this is the kind of soup that tastes best when made and for up to a couple of hours.
- Storing & Reheating: While we don't recommend it at all, if you do choose to keep the soup overnight, keep it in the fridge. In this case you MUST boil it before serving, not only reheat. The taste of the egg will definitely change.
- Thickening: A light roux or cornstarch will thicken it. However, cornstarch is broken down by enzymes which later causes sliminess. Therefore if you want a thicker soup, always go with the roux.
More Comfort Food You'll Like
Would you do me a favor?
If you make today's egg-drop soup and like it, please leave a 5-star rating, comment, or tag @balkanlunchbox on Instagram. (P.S. I read every comment!)
Prijatno and bon appetit!Print
May we have 10 minutes of your time for this no cornstarch Egg Drop Soup? This 5 ingredient (ok 6 if you garnish with parsley!) soup is warm, comforting, savory, and nutritious. Oh and also keto, paleo, vegetarian AND gluten-free.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- (Optional) 2-3 tablespoons parsley (minced)
- In a medium pot heat up butter and oil over medium until butter melts.
- Add chicken broth and raise temperature to high. Bring to a boil. Lower temperature to medium.
- (Parallel to step 2) In a small bowl beat an egg and salt until the egg yolk and egg white are completely integrated.
- Slowly pour the beaten egg into the broth while whisking energetically (1-2 min). Cook another 3 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Substitute chicken broth with vegetable or beef broth, or bouillon. If using bouillon use 2 teaspoons of powder, or 2 cubes, per 4 cups of water. Also, you can substitute parsley with green onion, or omit it.
For a thicker soup make a light roux. This is done by adding a tablespoon of flour to the melted butter and whisking it together until it turns dark yellow. Then add the broth.
It’s best to consume this soup within a few hours of making it as the egg changes consistency after a few hours. Otherwise, keep it in the fridge and bring it to a boil before serving. Be aware the taste will not be the same.
- Serving Size: 1 of 3
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Sodium: 1455mg
- Fat: 16.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates: 1.6g
- Fiber: .1g
- Protein: 8.5mg
- Cholesterol: 65mg
Keywords: egg drop soup recipe, balkan egg drop soup, egg drop soup without cornstarch