Easy and quick meat sauce recipe coming to us from Bosnia. Also known as mini ćevap this diced beef sauce is perfect for pasta, polenta and more.
- 1.5 ounces oil
- 3.5 ounces butter
- 1 yellow onion (large, peeled, sliced)*
- 1–2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3–4 tablespoons fresh parsley (minced, or 3–4 teaspoons dried)
- 3–4 tablespoons fresh celery leaf (minced, or 3–4 teaspoons dried)
- Salt to taste
- A few peppercorns
- 1.5 pounds beef (cubed, preferably T-bone or rib eye)**
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 ounces crushed tomatoes (or tomato sauce or 2 teaspoons vinegar)
- 1.5–2 cups water (lukewarm, or beef broth)
- In a deep pan combine oil, butter, onion, garlic, parsley, celery, salt, pepper, and meat. Stir well and simmer over medium for 20 minutes or until water expeled by the meat and veggies almost evaporates.
- Add tomato sauce, paprika and sugar. Stir and simmer another 20 minutes or until sauce juices thicken.
- Add water (or broth), bring everything to a boil and simmer another 3-5 minutes. Serve over a side of your choice.
*Original recipe calls for a sliced onion, however I diced it for the video.
**Substitute (if you must) with the chuck.
Recipe adapted from: Lakišić, A. (2015). Bosanski kuhar. Svjetlost.
- Calories: 711
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 505mg
- Fat: 57.5g
- Saturated Fat: 22.2g
- Carbohydrates: 5.8g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 41.2g
- Cholesterol: 179mg
Keywords: easy meat sauce