Counting as one of the area’s best okra recipes, this stew is made by cooking okra in water and lemon juice, then combining it with meat that’s been tenderized soft by a long and deep simmer. You will love it!
- 1 lemon (juice only) or 3–4 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1 strand of okra (or 1/2 pound fresh okra)
- 1 onion (large, minced)
- 2 carrots (medium, diced)
- 2–3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 bunch parsley (minced)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound (or a little more) veal or sirloin (preferably with fat, diced)
- 1/2 tablespoon seasoned salt (or Vegeta)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- (Optional) 1 lemon
- (If using dried okra.) Take okra off the thread and place in a medium pan filled with water and lemon juice (or vinegar). Bring to boil on medium. Boil for 30 minutes adding a little water if necessary to keep the level even and prevent burning. Drain and wash, then set aside.
- (If using fresh okra.) Soak okra in lemon juice (or vinegar) for 30 minutes. Wash, drain and dice, then set aside.
- (Parallel to cooking okra in lemon.)In a deep skillet or pot, heat oil and butter on high. Add onion, carrots, garlic and parsley. Simmer on medium high until onion caramelizes.
- Add veal and simmer for 60 to 75 minutes, or until veal is soft and done. As you are simmering, keep adding a little bit of water at a time until a sauce forms, and stir. The sauce should be at about 1/2 to 1 inch above veal in the pot/ skillet. (If you’d like a thinner sauce add more water, but balance the sauce flavor by adding more seasonings. For today’s recipe we’ve added 6-7 cups of water throughout the entire process.)
- Add okra into the sauce. Add salt and pepper and stir well. Continue simmering with occasional stirring for an additional 15 minutes. Stir in paprika 5 minutes before the sauce is finished.
- (Optional) Serve with lemon.
Serve alone or with a side of mashed potatoes, rice, couscous, or pasta.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 738mg
- Fat: 18.1g
- Saturated Fat: 7.6g
- Carbohydrates: 18.4g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Protein: 31.2
- Cholesterol: 133mg
Keywords: okra, okra soup, okra sauce, okra stew, okra health benefits