- 1 teaspoon baker's yeast
- 2.5 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 10 ounces milk
- 16-17 ounces white flour plus a little bit more
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 6 ounces plum jam
- Combine baker's yeast and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar with 3 tablespoons of warm water. Leave aside for ten minutes, or until it starts to bubble up.
- Combine milk and butter in a small pot. Heat over low until the butter melts into the milk. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour with salt, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 egg. Add the yeast and sugar mix. Start adding milk and butter in and kneading the dough vigorously for 10 minutes. If more liquid is necessary, add lukewarm water. Leave aside in a warm place for 30-45 minutes, or until the dough doubles in size.
- Sprinkle flour on your working area. Take the dough out, and cut into two equal pieces.
- Knead the first piece for 5-6 minutes. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a rectangle. Spread about 5-6 generous tablespoons of plum jam over 3/4 of the dough. (When you roll in the dough, some of the jam will be pushed up, so the entire area will be covered.) Roll the dough in until you have a loaf. Transfer to 9x13 inch pan sprinkled with flour, placing the end side of the roll on the bottom.
- Repeat this process for the second dough piece.
- Beat an egg yolk and paint strudel loaves with it. Leave aside in a warm place for another 30-45 minutes. Near the end of this period, heat oven to 390F.
- Place the pan into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, and then lower the temperature down to 350F. At this point you may need to place a piece of foil over it so it doesn't burn. Bake for another 20 minutes. Turn the oven off, take the foil off, and leave in the oven for another 3-5 minutes.
- Give the strudel loaves some time to cool off before eating.
***Please note that the prep time was not included as waiting for the dough to rise requires at least 60 minutes total (the first time when the dough is just made, and the second time after the it's filled with jam).