- 8 ounces fresh okra (or 1 string if dried)
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 8 cups water
- 3 chicken legs with thighs (or 2 chicken legs and 1 thigh)
- 2 carrots (medium, diced)
- 1 celery root (or 1 celery stick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ounces butter
- 2–3 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1–2 tablespoons parsley
- Dice okra (or take it off the string) and place in a pot. Cover with 2 cups of water, add lemon juice, and bring to a boil. Boil for 50 minutes on low. Add more water if necessary. Take off heat and drain.
- Place chicken, carrots, celery root, salt, pepper and bay leaf into a big pot. Add 6-7 cups of water and bring to a boil on high. Lower the temperature and continue cooking for another hour.
- Take the chicken out, take off the skin and dice the meat. Return meat to the pot, and add okra. Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a smaller pan and add flour. Stir vigorously until you get a smooth, light roux. Remove off heat and add to the soup.
- Mix egg yolk and sour cream until combined. Add to the soup and stir. Bring to the final boil and boil for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with sour cream.